** This position is anticipated to be 85% remote. There may be occasional client meetings in the region, as well as visits (approx. 2/month) to the Silver Spring office for collaboration. If desired, additional days in the office are available, but would not be expected. We encourage applicants from around Northern Virginia, Alexandria, Arlington, Falls Church, Fairfax, Mclean, or other parts of NOVA. **
Are you fascinated by the built environment? Are you passionate about sustainability and the opportunity to work on challenging multimodal projects that make communities more livable? Do you have a passion for problem solving, details, and developing construction documents and want to teach others these skills? Do you enjoy working on a variety of projects in unique and challenging environments? If so, we’re looking for someone like you to join our team as a Senior Civil Engineer.
Why join Toole Design?
At Toole Design, every project we do improves a community and enhances the multimodal transportation environment for people of all ages and abilities. Our staff of 200 engineering, landscape architecture, and planning professionals are passionate about making a difference in communities large and small. Our projects advance quickly from concept to reality, our team is creative and dynamic, and you will collaborate across disciplines with colleagues on transformative projects across the country.
As a Senior Civil Engineer, you will be leading and supporting and mentoring an interdisciplinary team to create sustainable multimodal transportation infrastructure in a wide range of contexts from complex roadways and streetscapes in highly urban settings to signature trail projects that highlight and enhance the natural environment. You will have opportunities to independently manage and lead company projects in your home region as well as to support projects across our North American offices. You’ll be at the table with clients and colleagues from a variety of disciplines, delivering projects from concept to construction; including stakeholder and public outreach, developing feasibility studies and concept plans, and preparing construction documents for innovative projects throughout the country. You will also be participating in business development and project pursuits, supporting the firm’s quality initiatives, and mentoring our designers. In an industry that is constantly changing, you’ll be at the forefront of delivering creative solutions to challenging projects.
Toole Design is committed to building a diverse and welcoming team. We have a collaborative culture where people of all backgrounds come together to share ideas and build better, more inclusive communities. We have a strong and highly developed work from home culture and are extremely adept at collaborating between offices and teams. We are an equal opportunity, woman-owned business. We’re proud that about half of our managers are female and are committed to achieving racial diversity in our leadership as well. No matter what your background is, we encourage you to apply for this position.
You’ll be a great fit if:
• You enjoy generating and evaluating geometric design concepts
• You enjoy producing high-quality construction documents
• You revel in mentoring talented team members and fostering a culture of expertise
• You are experienced at delivering high quality projects on-time and on-budget
• You enjoy building strong relationships across disciplines, across offices and with our clients
• Making a positive difference in how people get around is your passion
• You’re motivated to find new clients and solve new challenges
• You are detail oriented and have strong organizational skills
• You know how to get the message across, whether written, verbal or graphically
We’ll offer you:
• The opportunity to lead, manage, design and implement transportation projects that positively and directly affect our communities.
• The potential to grow as an engineer and advance in a company that prefers to promote from within
• The opportunity to learn first-hand from industry-leading experts
• Competitive salary and benefits
• A workplace that practices what it preaches, with engaged colleagues and financial incentives to bike, walk, and use transit on your commute
How to Apply:
If you would like to be considered as a potential candidate for this position, please click “Apply for this Job” below or visit our careers page http://www.tooledesign.com/careers and select the corresponding position. You will need a resume, cover letter, and 150 word statement on your commitment to equity and diversity, which you can attach separately or share as a response to one of the application questions. Toole Design Group, LLC is an equal opportunity employer (EO/AA/VEV/Disabled employer) and encourages women and people of color to apply. No phone calls, please. For more information about Toole Design Group, visit our website (www.tooledesign.com), follow us on Twitter (@tooledesign), or like us on Facebook (www.facebook.com/TooleDesignGroup).
• A Professional Engineering license in the United States is required
• A bachelor’s or master’s Degree in civil engineering
• At least 10 years of engineering experience developing construction documents
• At least 2 years serving in a project and/or design management role
• A broad knowledge base in civil engineering with a transportation focus and specific knowledge of horizontal and vertical roadway geometric design (MUTCD and AASHTO)
• Experience in preparing transportation and local agency permit documents.
• Experience in coordinating utility and right-of-way impacts and street lighting, traffic signal, and landscape/hardscape layout.
• Highly proficient with design software including: MicroStation, InRoads / OpenRoads, AutoCAD, Civil 3D.
• Working knowledge of Bluebeam and Microsoft office applications
• Experience with a stormwater design software is a plus (e.g. HydroCAD or HydroFlow)
• Experience developing construction documents and cost estimates for one or all of the following agencies: VDOT, MDSHA, DDOT, DELDOT.
• Keen interest in multimodal and active transportation design preferred